Sunday, January 20, 2008

Staying the Night at New Scotland Yard



When We first arrived in England. We I mean there where four of us, ( Jim,larry, Micheal and me). We arrived in the late evening at that time everything apart from Picadilly Circus was closed. As 3 of us had no where to stay as for Jim . He was a reporter and was staying in one of the Hotels downtown, he was 35+ and never left home before.

It was interesting to walk around one of the largest cities in the world and not see anyone. the sodium street lights cast an
eery , surreal glow on everything. Around 1:30 am, we found ourselves still walking the streets. Jim had checked himself into some hotel around the Victoria Station and we were going to met up with him at Trafalgar Square around noon the next day.

We came across New Scotland Yard. So i persuaded the guys to go into the building and ask if we could have a room for the night. As it was common practice in North America to ask the local Plod's for some lodging to keep off the streets.

I went up to the desk and spoke to the duty Sargent. He was an older fellow from Glasgow, Scotland so he told us afterwards over a cup of tea. You have to imagine this next exchange in a very broad and thick scottish accent.

" Och, Oye, Laddies . This is New Scotland Yard, we do not do that sort of thing here. We do not put people up in here, willingly. They always want out not in." " but if you want somewhere to sleep, You can sleep in St. James Park and I will tell the bobbies to leave, ye be until daylight. Before the upper Nobby, Snobs, complain to us that Hippies are sleeping in their precious park."

" I have to walk the dogs around that time anyways. I will come over and get you lot up. The Canadians are always welcome here, good thing you are not Yanks."

So he gave us the directions and a few sandwiches and off we went and went to sleep on the park benches. I was woken rather strangely as my face had the feeling of being washed. Opened my eyes and nearly had a fit as I stared right into the mouth of the biggest German Shepherd I had ever seen at the time. Who was giving me a lick to decide I guess, If I tasted good enough to eat. I guess i didn't because I am still around.

The Sergeant was there from the night before, walking 3 very large Police Dogs, he just laughed. ''Time to get up now boys." " If you come over to the station, Breakfast is being served and you are more than welcome to have a spot of tea."

So we showered and had a nice hot breakfast, the last I would have for a long time. On the way out they gave us some sandwiches and a 5 pound note.

No comments: