Thursday, July 26, 2007

Minnesota Slim "The Pool Hall Sharkette"

There are many of you who are avid fans of Snooker/Billiards; who would of heard about the man called "Minnesota Fats'. His real name was I believe Ralph Markerone ( I probably spelled his name incorrectly, so for those of you I have offended 'Sorry".). He changed his name to "Minnesota Fats" after the movie with Paul Newman came out called the "Hustler". He was a real Hustler and showman and was a real character. I had the pleasure of playing him one summer in Wasaga Beach Ont. I lost a lot of money to Him and was brought down a peg or three but made me a better person because of the experience. ( I should say at the time it was called OakView Beach where we lived, there where 3 beach's that now make up the Provinical Park of Wasaga Beach "Brock,OakView, Wasaga").

At the OakView Beach Restaurant, Pool Hall and Convience Store that my Mother owned for a number of years in the mid to late 60's and early 70's.

That is another story, for another time. The real story is dedicated to my Mother who was affectionately known as "Minnesota Slim". The Who, How and Why she got that name.

In those days at the Beach it was a major hangout for various Biker gangs such as the "Vagabonds, Satan's Choice and Black Diamond Raiders". You used to be able to see several Hundred Bikers from the various Groups and a lot of wannabees on the main drag during the summer season. Reving their engines shouting at each other and fighting one another for turf and to be noticed how tough they were or thought .

There was a lot of property damage as well as injuries and a few deaths caused by all these different gangs trying to get control of the Wasaga Beach and area.

The Police Department at the beaCH was under funded and only 2 or 3 staff. They used to close up at 5 pm on weekdays and weren't open on the weekends , the OPP from Stayner took over in the evenings and the weekends. The Beach was a major tourist mecca. With one of the longest fresh water beaches in the Province of Ontario. Just 100 miles north of Toronto. It was full of Hotels and bars, Midway rides,go carts and etc. So it was a real haven for both the nice and not so nice. The sand dunes up at the end of the beach were notoroius for the various goings on. I was inviited by the Bikers to several parties there , with my connection to the Pool Hall. I saw a lot of stuff, I should have never have seen at my young age.


In the winter and off season just 1300 people called it home. On long weekends close to a 1,000,000 came and went to Wasaga Beach and Area.

I just wanted to give a little background for my story of "Minnesota Slim".

As I mentioned before She owned a Pool Hall and as the Beach attracted a lot of unsavory Characters ( including yours truly). On any given day it was not unusual to see 10 or 20 Bikes outside the Oakview Lunch. The OPP would often sit in their patrol cars up the road and watch. The Biker Gangs would often have their meetings at my Moms Place. they would call up or come in and book a weekend at the Oakview Lunch in advance.

She would close down the place to the general public so gangs could come and go and play pool and eat for the weekend and have their meetings. I must say because Mom treated them with respect, they treated her with respect and she never had any trouble. She warned them about no drugs allowed ,no weapons, they pay for everything they eat and drink and also clean up after them when they leave. It was ok to bring alcohol there as Mum liked to have a few beers.

She warned them she had a loaded 410 under the counter and would used it if they got rowdy or out of control. And wouldn't let them back again. They never caused us any trouble. As it was the only neutral place for them to hang out at the Beach. Sort of a mini Switzerland.

It was the Biker Gangs that named her "Minnesota Slim". She was about 5 foot 2 and 100 lbs at the most soaking wet. She had a wicked sense of humor and had dentures that never fitted right and they would fall out more often than not. She liked her beer and smoked like a chimney and swore like a trooper. She loved to play Pool with the guys esp. a couple of bikers named "Stretch" and "Tiny" . They were Road Captains or Club Presidents at the time and dwarfed Mum by several feet and 150 plus pounds. She used to cheat so bad, she add their points unto her score and then look them in the face daring them to say something about it.

As Marg ran the Pool Hall , She also ran the Bikers , whilst they were there. Down the road they could do what the wanted, when they left her premises.

Marg was well loved by these great brutes and when they got her laughing , her teeth would fall out on the table and it would but crank up the hooting and hollering even more. Cigarette stuck in her mouth and pool cue in hand with her skinny leg up on the table trying to make a shot. They always paid in full and gave her some pressie for the trouble and lifted her off the floor with their hugs.

There weren't always the same faces each time a meeting came around at the OakView Lunch, life was hard for them and attrition was high amongst the Bikers as their life style was not condoned by Mum or the citizens at large. She let sleeping dogs lay and they left her alone. We never had a break-in at the Beach as the place was under the dubious protection of the various Gangs. No one dared.

The business closed in 1972 or 73 and sold to someone else. I was over in the UK at the time, working somewhere and playing music both on stage and on the street. (that's another story for another day)

I got a bunch of flowers; years later and a card from them after my Mother passed away.To say how much they liked Marg and were sorry that she had gone. For she had a real positive effect on a lot of them for the good, it turned out.

My Cousin Lynn Johnston who writes the comics "For Better or Worse". Included a Strip in her cartoons on a lady who ran a pool hall. She asked me for permission as she was basing it loosely on Mum. So check it out.


4 comments:

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

He He He... someone today asked me who I took after - my mum or my dad. I thought for a second, and replied: "My grandma on my dad's side." Apart from the smoking and teeth, I think....

Paddy Ebeneezer said...

Hello from Paddygay on thinking about your toilet roll over or under, mummy says she prefers whichever way it so appens to go on the holder. she never thinks about it and is only concerned to ensure that she has enough in the house.....never less than 12 rolls just incse!

Unknown said...

Hello Mr Old Tarf. Let me introduce myself: I am Oscar the PandaCat wot has a blog and a Staff wot is friends with the Mermaid of Moorgate. I thought I would say hello on your blog and invite you to leave comments on mine which provides the world with an insight into the life and musings of an intellectual pandacat. I have been thinking about the toilet paper issue mentioned by you and my friend Paddygay but have concluded that I have no conclusion as I dont use toilet paper myself and simply poo and lick (I only wash approximately once a week however as I enjoy being dirty).
I will put a link to this blog on my site if I can work out how to do it. If I cant I will have to get the Staff to help me.
Bye for now.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

I also think another nick-name used to be "low-slung" because of her bottom, which I have inherited?