Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ever had one of those Days? Where you did something dumb?


So G. and I decided we wanted to get away somewhere warm and sunny for Christmas this year. But we were torn as to where to go for me Cuba would have been my first choice and the Blau Costa Verde would have suited me fine.

So as G. has the deciding vote after all marriage is a democracy and each person in the relationship has an equal say. ( as long as Mrs. has the final say). LOL. Cuba was not even considered, I wasn't even able to wear her down by price comparison either.

So we started looking at the Bahamas, Nassau would be nice we thought. But the more we checked up on the Breezes in Nassau the more the reviews were leaning more on the bad side than good. Most people thought the place was awful and as it would have cost us the same as Mexico, or Costa Rica and the Hotels there, we looked at all had very good reviews. The Bahamas trip left the picture and even with Cuba thrown back in by yours truly. ( I am like a bull dog do not give up with out a fight. Got the look finally, so even I gave up finally.) (Maybe in April we will get back to the Blau. Mrs Ot said;). All is not lost.

So in order not to wipe out our bank balance, I used a line of credit on one of my credit cards at a really good rate 1.9% for 8 months. I did get Airmiles for the trip by the way. Love those Airmiles.

Now I am ahead of myself as per normal. So we went to a Travel agent and worked with them to get us a trip to Mexico even with the H1N1 trouble.( we are getting our shots at the clinic next month).

So we are off to the Dreams Tulum for Christmas from the 20th to 27th and the Dreams Adventura from the 13th to 20th. The Hotels are next door to each other and about 1 1/2 hours from Cancun.

With the Tulum right next door literally to a Mayan Ruin by the same name. Hence the Pictures on the slideshow.

So I paid off the line of credit one day and forgot to cancel the payment for a later time. So I went to look on-line to look at our accounts and found us short by 4000. I realized what I did ( I actually paid the credit company twice, sort of gave them a loan.

I was advised that the 4000 credit wasn't going too compound and no 1.9 % interest paid back in our favor) Lest haste more speed in future and today I was able to contact the company and have the credit sent back to our account it will take a few days. I am so careful with our accounts as a rule.

In the mean time our regular bank is charging us interest at 4.50% for the loan I didn't know I was taking out to pay the off the first card. Talk about stealing from peter to pay paul. I should have just paid it in full in the first place. Live and learn.

12 comments:

Ninja said...

Poor dear!

But you're all set for Mexico then?

The Old Tarf said...

Sabrina,

yes and co0unting down the days.

Chris H said...

Live and learn indeed!
I hope you don't lose too much with the interest charged on your unexpected 'loan'.
Hey! It's warm in New Zealand over Christmas too... but maybe a bit too far to travel eh? lol

Trubes said...

Oooooh dear Tarf,
That sounds costly. Reminds me of something DT did recently...A costly mistake too!

Hope you enjoy Mexico.x

Di.x

The Old Tarf said...

Chris- no we won't lose too much a few dollars only but you are right never thought of NZ for christmas maybe another time. I was at one time planning on going to NZ but the Indian/Pakistan war came up and we changed travel plans.

Trubes- it is not too costly ( a few starbucks coffee's) but a lesson learned. I try to get the bills paid off each month and have a 0 balance on our credit cards not to incur charges but things happen.

Reluctant Blogger said...

Oh dear. But the trip sounds fab.

Oh and I managed to work out how to turn the webcam on so next time we will be able to wave at each other!

Trubes said...

Just posted about DT's costly mistake Tarfers.


Di.x

The Old Tarf said...

RB- Hey that would be great. We must talk again prior to Halloween or you will think I am in costume.

Trubes- will visit your blog.

Electro-Kevin said...

That is nothing compared to the act of stupidy I've just committed.

I'll email soon with the story - hopefully once the dust has settled. My stomache is churning too much with worry at the moment.

Electro-Kevin said...

http://electro-kevin-electro-kevin.blogspot.com/2009/10/oystercatchers-coffee-house-gig.html

Post for ya.

Anonymous said...

I once managed to go £3 overdrawn on a current account whilst I had 5 or 6 hundred in a deposit account and got charged about £30 overdraft fee! Happy days!

The Old Tarf said...

Ek- thank you for the Post. Good luck on Sundays

Mutely- been there done that more than once. It is a bitch how the banks over charge you.