Monday, October 20, 2008

Windsor Nova Scotia-10th Annual Pumpkin Regatta



Picture of the Parade. One of the entrees was Shrek. He sunk by the way. the Pony also sunk.



View of the distance across the Lake. The guy in the Football actually was the winner this year.



Even Elvis was in the House.



Some of the other inmates.

Well Ginny And I went up to Windsor NS to watch the only festival of it's kind that I know of. Where you get a lot of silly git's dressed up in funny costumes. Rowing ,Paddling, Sailing or Motoring across a mile wide Lake in a very large Pumpkin. Yes you heard me a Pumpkin. What you make Pies out off or Jack-o-Lanterns.

Now we are talking about 300 plus pounds up to 900 lbs Giant Pumpkins or Squash. It all started with a Mr. Howard Dill who grew over the years a world wide following for Giant Pumpkins. Some of these Pumpkins are the size of small cars and can carry more than 1 person. It is the 10th year of the Pumpkin Festival.

Unfortunate Mr. Dill passed away earlier this year. Mr. Dill also has on his property" Long Pond' the place where Ice Hockey actually started. The farmers allow various groups and individuals use of the Giant Vegetables as long as they give the seeds back to the farmer. they then are hollowed out painted, stuff added for fun and partially filled with foam or sponge to give them more stability and flotation increase. Although that doesn't guarantee that they will not sink or fill up with water.

This year we had over 60 Pumpkins in the race about 10 didn't make it and sank some sank and were still paddled or pushed over by the person. they then have a parade with funds being raised for the Children's wish foundation.

I have included some links to some Video I shot that is posted on You Tube.

10 comments:

Chris H said...

Looks like fun! And WHAT am I supposed to do with a Canadian Dollar!!!! You are funny... thanks so much for the card.

The Old Tarf said...

Chris- When you visit you can spend it then. Or each time you look at it you can remember the Old Loon who sent it too you.

Anonymous said...

Those are mega pumpkins.

I love silly events like those. There was a programme on TV recently here in the UK where two guys travelled round Britain engaging in all the funny local events - cheese rolling, pram races, mud wrestling. They'll have to go to Canada next.

The Old Tarf said...

RB- just think of all the pies and Pumpkin Bread you could make. We saw the cheese rolling dangerous sport.

Anonymous said...

My pumpkins werent so big as that this year - I guess I would have need two of them to float...looks like a great day out!

David said...

Makes me proud that I was born in Middletown Nova Scotia!
Hey close enough.

Ninja said...

It's so sad that we don't have such things here! Looks like soo much fun!

Where are the pictures of you all dressed up? :p

The Old Tarf said...

Mutley- it is not always the quantity it is the quality of your pumpkins that count. I have been told i have two large gourds.

Dave- Hey once a blue noser always a blue noser.

Sabrina-it was a real Hoot. I put a link on your comments to a picture of me dressed up for Halloween. For the Regatta I went as a tourist.

Electro-Kevin said...

Hello, OT.

Can you email me. I'm trying to set up Skype with you and I'd rather not wake you up at 4am with a telephone call !

Yes ! I have your telephone number !

;-))

kevinjpeat@btinternet.com

The Old Tarf said...

kev- i sent an email to you. hope you recieved it.