Monday, June 2, 2008

Hey, put me out first you "Bastard"




Went to the Halifax infirmary on thursday for my minor surgery. This is the 3rd time I have had my various Veins stripped. the first time I was in Hospital for a day or two. The second time was under general painkiller and out cold. Woke up with 150 staples ( doc called them clips) Clips my ass they were metal staples, felt like they were put in with a stapler ( not yours I hope mermaid).

So I went this time not knowing what to expect. No drugs, only a local painkiller . He marked my leg with felt tip ink and preceded to put a sedative in my leg like a flaming pin cushion. then Told me not to look, so Like a naughty boy I looked. Here was this mad Doctor slicing my leg with a scalpel, blood gushing out and what looked like spaghetti being pulled out of my leg.

Now the kicker was, I was done in 20 minutes, bandaged up and out to the waiting room. Ginny didn't even have time to drink her coffee. So I am waiting to have these Staples taken out ( oh, excuse me Clips). Then may have to go back and get my lower leg done as, he only did the knee to the groin this time.

Hopefully , there will not be a next time. Only took me 2 years to get to see him in the first place. Good thing it wasn't life or death situation. Next time I will have a few shots before I go. I will probably have to bring my own Band-Aids and tensor bandages as well as do the surgery myself. He did say only Healthy people come to Hospital now and you do not want to get sick here, as the food is worse than Mac Donalds or any fast food place.

I always thought Hospitals were suppose to be the place to cure you, not contract the plague. Hey, where are my drugs. Knock me out next time and do not tell me not to look.

15 comments:

David said...

I look always when told to "look away". It is natural eh?
Hope your healing fine.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Hope you're OK now. Did you get to keep the stuff he took out? What was it anyway?

Chris H said...

EWWWWW... I always look away.. but then I'm a big wimp!

The Old Tarf said...

David-I do not know what it is about doing the exact opposite to what you are asked to do.

GB-I wanted it for bait. But it was considered medical waste. I think they were afraid, I might have used it for cloning.

Chris-EWWWW-was right. I still get the Heebie Jeebies when I think about it.

Anonymous said...

urghh that is disgusting. Spaghetti? Oh dear I feel a bit ill.

I remember after I had my son the midwife must have asked me about 244 times if I wanted to keep the placenta. Apparently people do. They plant it I think - or maybe they eat it, I don't recall now. Made me feel ill anyway.

I hope it is healing quickly. My ex had his veins done ages ago and he had some really strict walking routine he had to do for weeks and weeks afterwards - mile after mile he would trudge. Or perhaps he just wanted to get away from me, eh?

Anonymous said...

*Shrieks* - I hope this does not mean mermaid is going to end up varicosal as we have high hopes for her legs...

Electro-Kevin said...

Good to have you back. Hope you had a nice holiday.

Sorry to hear you needed surgery and get well soon.

My own experiences have been quite gruesome too.

- my thumb nail entirely clipped away without anaesthetic (to get a large splinter out)

- wadding pulled from a hole in my arse after an operation to remove an abscess, agony and humiliation in front of trainee nurses.

- a piece of dry maccaroni removed from my ear in casualty (don't ask)

- the snip with local anaesthetic, not painful just downright unnerving.

The Old Tarf said...

RB- I heard about country folk doing that before.
It wasn't a pretty sight.

Mutley- I may have to come over there and sort you out at a local pub with a gallon of beer or two with talk like that.

Ek- You had a rough time. I think I would like to know about the Macaroni in the ear though. Cheese was where? ;)

Daisy said...

i'm just glad you are alright...call me simple but that is the important thing to me...and yes i am a bit selfish :)

BEAST said...

Did they make a noise when they pulled the veins out , like ripping cellotape off of paper ????
Sounds well cool , I hope your healing nicely

The Old Tarf said...

Daisy- Yes, I am all right. No wait, I am half left.

Beast- I was to busy Ewwing to hear the other sounds.

Ninja said...

Oh dear...i hope you're healing nicely.

As much as i am obsessed with pain and blood, i definitely would not enjoy getting stapled....oh excuse me...i mean clipped!

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

oh my poor daddy! I hope your leg is back to its former glory and you are able to cock it up at fire hydrants and small trees once again!

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Ps... mutley, mermaids dont have legs!

The Old Tarf said...

sabrina- the clips are gone. How is your health lately.
have you defeated sauron lately??

meramaid- fire hydrants and shrubs look out.