Monday, June 16, 2008

Aphorisms


**************
* 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
* De ja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
* The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
* Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
* If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
* Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
* Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
* If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
* Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
* For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.
* Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.
* To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your principles.
* Two wrongs are only the beginning.
* The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
* A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
* If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
* Change is inevitable.... Except from vending machines.
* Don't sweat petty things.... Or pet sweaty things.
* Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
* It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

16 comments:

David said...

I love the "don't sweat...
lmao!

Anonymous said...

brilliant - I loved the

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

The Old Tarf said...

david- I agree with you.


Reluctant Blogger-story of my life. I have been catching up all my life. It does leave more time for partying.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about learning toplay a musical instrument. Is the guitar as easy as you make it look?

The Old Tarf said...

Mutley- any thing is possible as long as you want to do it. The guitar is not hard but takes a little discipline. the easy way to do it find some song you really like; learn the chords and start to play. one can always take a few lessons as well just to learn the basics like tuning etc. or find a few friends who play and have them show you the basics of the guitar. Then find some time every day to practice and before you know it you are playing.

Barnsley Bill said...

Excellent list, I may pinch the bottom one, change it a little and use at my place.

The Old Tarf said...

Barnsley Bill- Fill your boots.

Electro-Kevin said...

I think my purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.

:-))

The Old Tarf said...

Ek- it is good to know one's purpose in life. mine is to vex my wife and daughter. I am off to the camp again. have to help a friend with a deck and try to get some fishing done.

Trubes said...

Well, as all you boys are 'gone fishing' it's about time you had some 'girly' imput!
Trubes is home from hols and ready for some verbal action!

Time for the Mermaid to be reeled in!

Di.xx

Faye said...

No wonder you don't have girlfriends, you're all fucken losers.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

The last one is my favourite and I think is true of my life. I have found my purpose at last. hooray!

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Faye

In reply to your erudite comment as to the status quo of these fine gentlemen, I entrust to the Olympian Fates that your enveloped physiognomy returns to a less horrifically-carbonised state, following what I can only imagine must have been an unfortunate accident with lucifers and a cylinder of concentrated chromic glycerin.

Did it hurt?

Daisy said...

i learned about petting the sweaty things years ago...nasty business that :)

Paddy Ebeneezer said...

hi there, sorry has taken me a while to respond, have been to traumatised by birdy birdy to use the computer. Has the mermins told you about hers and my blind mummy's idea to walk across part of Cuba! dah!

The Old Tarf said...

Trubes- in order to be reeled in. the proper bait must be dangled.

faye- I would be killed instantly if I had a girl friend. As I tie more often than lose. The truth has set me free indeed. And you, are you still chained?

Mermaid- thank you for the lucid commentary.

Daisy-I had a similar experience before.

Paddy-Yes I heard about the trip.