Thursday, November 15, 2007

Free Stuff

Why is it that when one has a chance for something for nothing, you make the extra effort to go and get it.
Is it greed? Is it just the fact that you want it, even if you do not need it? We have several friends who Ginny and I call the Magpie's anything shiny and , it's squak,squak,swoop.

Life is indeed strange. TD-Bank has now extended their opening hours from 8am-6pm. At last a Bank that is open when the general public needs them to be open and 6 days a week. It's too bad most of our accounts are elsewhere. So I do not really feel as if I am a customer. There is a promotion this week the first 25 people through the door in the morning gets a $10.00 gift card for Chapters Books and a Green Shopping Bag one of those envrio friendly with the TD Logo on the sides.

I have 3 of each so far this week and we do not bank there, although we do have a mortgage and RRSP's with the TD.

I seem to be one of the first through and with me is a chap in a London Fog "jacket". He parks his BMW around the corner and waits like me to get his freebie. At least I walk down to the Bank from our 3 BR Condo. Well I will be there again tomorrow as the bags will go down to Cuba, the gift cards will be used for pressies for the gardener,supt etc. Next week there is a chance for a LCD Telly, so guess who will be there bright and early. MEeeeeeeeeeee. One can enter once each day and the draw will be on Friday.

They are not Airmiles or CDN. Tire money. I have been know to do some bin diving for stuff as well. A lot of the bits end up at the Trailer. I guess it is the old Flea-Marketeer in me having a hard time to let go, esp. when I know i could make some money out of the items. Well if you happen to get a gift card from us, you know where we got them.

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I think it is explained by something called 'prospect theory'. People react not to the absolute amnount of wealth they have, but how much they have compared with what they expected to have. Getting a freebie is a positive 'shock' - like a high from a drug.

The Old Tarf said...

GB- Excellent . Considering how much money the banks are making off us everyday. It is nice to get something back. Once i figure out how to add links to the blog i will include yours. Only just getting the hang of pictures.

UBERMOUTH said...

The TDare a very good bank. When my dad died and my brother tried to abscond with all the funds they called me all the way in UK to let me know so I could get my lawyer to deal with it.
Now that is customer satisfaction although not for my bro'