Monday, February 28, 2011

Hoisted with one's own Petard-be careful of pressing the wrong button!


The Canadian dollar closed Friday at a more than three-year high and the Toronto Stock Exchange made triple-digit gains as oil prices stabilized, with investors reassured any shortfall in Libyan oil production would be recouped.

The loonie's official close was 102.19 cents US, a gain of 0.47 of a cent, and its highest level since November 2007. This morning it is now at 102.68.

So in order not to pay any service charges and to bulk up our US$ account I went and transferred over from another account at the PC to avoid paying extra costs to another bank. Forgot when I transferred out of our Chequing Account to take it out of our Savings and so in a hurry pressed the button. Then realized it was for the wrong Account and now will incur an overdraft fee. So much for me thinking I was a clever boy. Haste does make waste. lol

Now when I was at the (other) Bank this morning and picked up a small RRSP to avoid paying taxes to the Federal Government this year. I found out that we are allowed only 1 free transaction on this
account each month and I had already had 2 this month. Now it gets better I even made a 8am appointment as soon as the
Bank opened, to beat the RRSP deadline of tomorrow March 1st. The weather was -18c when Ginny dropped me off this morning, so talk about being eager to save and trying to be organized. ( Very over Zealous on my part).
So another $2.00 fee, on top of our overdraft charge.

At least the fee for the RRSP was waived by the bank and we were credited the transaction fee. Found out that we do not get any monthly service charges on this account. So no need for a minimum balance to keep in it each month. Which is good to know.

At least at the PC; we have unlimited transactions and no monthly fees to pay. Good thing as considering we do approx. each month 100+. We would be broke in a hurry. (And I wouldn't be able to afford to have my favorite libation of the god's.)

So now I have to wait until next month, which fortunately is "Tomorrow" to add to our US Dollar Account. So in order to save $4.00 today on buying US$ when the CDN$ is higher; I spent $7.00 instead on unnecessary fees. lol

I definitely got "hoisted on my own petard." Blow me over with a feather duster. :) Good thing it is Five O'clock somewhere.

No comments: