Monday, November 17, 2008

What not to say to a Mother-in-Law


Picture of what my Ex. Mother-in-Law looked like to me. She is the one on the left. I had more hair in those days and my voice hadn't broken yet.


Form of transportation offered to my Mother-in-Law on her visit to Ottawa.


How I imagined her Traveling to and from England to Canada. It is not very far from the truth. "Ok, it is sorry (Mermaid)."


Many years ago in a Galaxy far, far and far away . Actually it was in Bell's Corners, just outside of Ottawa, Ontario. Lived a family in crisis as the scary Mother-in-Law was coming over from England to visit. And give us the benefit her so called wisdom handed down to her from generations before. Mermaids Gran. was the 7th child of a 7th Child and she considered herself a Hedge Witch. Read tea leaves, made potions and generally scared the day lights out of me and everyone around her.

All I can remember of that Fateful visit to us. My Daughter (Mermaid) was only about 1 year at the most. Life at "chez nous" was very rocky and a mini-war raged day and night anyways. It was either before or just after my ex. Mother-in-law arrived.

I got a old corn broom and put it on her bed and tied a note to it.

The note went something like this. " Mum, this will save on your bus fares in and around Ottawa. We are on a direct flight path to the Airport should you want to fly there anytime."

The Mermaid's mother had no idea that I did this. So It did not go over too well. But on the upside someone's Mother refused to speak to me at all for the two weeks she was there. Did I get cursed by my ex's mum. Probably; after all I did marry her Daughter. :))

12 comments:

David said...

HMMMMMMMM.....just gave me an idea for an upcoming visit. I'm off to Goodwill to check broom supplies.
Funny stuff!

Chris H said...

I have been lucky... no Mother in laws for me! Thanks god!

Ninja said...

LOL!!! This was just too funny!!! She sounds like a character out of Discworld!

The Old Tarf said...

Dave-Remember it must be a corn(Y) broom.

Chris- Hey how great is that. My 2nd mother in law is really great.

Sabrina- More like "NIghtmare on Elm Street."

Anonymous said...

haha I haven't spoken to my MIL since last Christmas when we had our big bust-up. And it is such a blessed relief.

I'm sure she flits about on a broomstick too.

The Old Tarf said...

RB- You must be glad for the "Sounds of Silence".

have a great day.

Anonymous said...

How odd - I came to say that it was great re the condo but the post has disappeared. I hope that doesn't mean there is a problem with the sale?

The Old Tarf said...

RB- no it doesn't I couldn't get the l;ink to work and beggared up the post will put a new one up tomorrow. Thank you so much for your concern. You are definitely on our list of people I would love to meet in person some day.

The sale continues and so does the down sizing of stuff in the house.

Electro-Kevin said...

Very good.

With my mother in law there's a risk she might lose the broomstick. She has a history, see. I don't want to put it too bluntly but we might have to find her a 'Y' shaped coffin.

lilith said...

Fantastic news about the sale. I adored my M in L but she was a real handful, and (because she didn't often direct it at me) I watched her Queen Bitch act with some awe and respect. With her it was ART.

Ninja said...

Tarfie dear got a notice saying you posted about your condo being sold but now can't find it?? Am confused...

The Old Tarf said...

Ek, lilith and Sabrina- thank you.

I really like my 2nd M-L. First one was different.