Tuesday, August 14, 2007

More and More of the Past Disappears

To Blog or not to Blog? That is a good question. Is it more noble to be rude on someone else's space or to retire to that dusty corner in the attic, where all the the family archives go.

It's like that Christmas cake you get and not eat ,so you pass it on to someone else. And a few years later it magically appears back in your keeping.

When you get older and it comes to us all. You start to think about your mortality and what will happen when it's your turn to go. This happen's after you lose your parents or close friend's and you inadvertently open a box or old tin full of family photos that you having no clue as to who they are or where they were taken.

It's sad each generation that passes, we lose so much. Not just in the lack of really skilled craftsman. Eg. The Cathedrals, there are no skilled people who would take several generations or centuries to build something; it is totally unheard of today. Its the reason these beautiful buildings exist today. Not some knock-up that last for 20 or so years. We are so busy, that everything has to be done now or yesterday.

I remember vaguely trying to be interested in the stories both my Mother and my Grandmother told me about the photo's and their lives. Instead I day dreamed of going out playing with my friends or watching the Telly. So now that I am much older, the family oral tradition's are getting to be very important to me. As many of you have reasoned out by now that I am the Mermaid's sire.

So if my blog turns out to be boring and full of ante dotes, it's because I do not want these stories to be lost forever when its my time to go. With MM over in the UK and me here in Nova Scotia, it feels good to blog to each other. I kind, of get the feeling of how she is doing and know when to call and when not too. I miss her writing, if things haven't changed for a few days as then I start to worry whether she is OK.

Now if only someone could help me figure out how to post the picture from my desktop to the blog. I keep getting post URL , try and get nothing. I can get the photo in the text of the post but want it up on the comments page. The master must become the student.

So if any of you have the time to teach this old dog some tricks of the information age. MM and I worked at it for a long time to no avail. Perhaps I need to change something in the tools section?

Help and Thank you

11 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Hello Old Tarf. First save the picture you want to post in your 'My Pictures' folder, using a filename you will remember. You can save any picture on the internet by pressing the right-click button on your mouse.

Then press the picture button in blogger followed by the 'Browse' button, to locate the file you have saved. Click on the file in the 'My pictures' folder, press 'upload' and 'done' and the picture should appear.

Your stories are interesting, like reading a historical diary. It's important to understand how the world has changed and also how it has stayed the same.

Mermaid seems like a nice girl and a real tough cookie who always lands on her feet. Maybe she gets that from you.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

"retire to that dusty corner in the attic, where all the the family archives go."

I thought that was where people put their great grandparents when they start to go a bit ga-ga and smell of pee.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

PS... PaddyEbeneezer misses great-uncle Tarf. Please write to him every now and then!

The Old Tarf said...

Dear GB-

Thankyou for your advice. I have resolved part of my problem. I still cannot figure out how to get the picture from my blog to my profile as it asks me URL still.

MM-is not a tough cookie, in fact she is rather sweet. (I had to say that or she would have put me in a nursing home).

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I'm fifth... Do I have to stop writing suggestive remarks on MMs blog now? That would remove a small pleasure from an otherwise quite dull day... I don't mean any of it you know its all rubbish.

I only read this one post, but Ive put you in my list of blogs, so I can visit again. I don't think this brings you extra visitors by the way unless I rate yo as 18+ those are always my most popular out going clicks...

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

mutley - you're barking up the wrong tree methinks. Old Tarf is male. Don't worry though, he does not bite (any more) and he lives in a kingdom far, far away so he can't come and break your kneecaps.

Old Tarf - thank you. I am so very sweet, I know XSX

Anonymous said...

Rups is male and his blog is definitely 18+ ... but some of the other 18+ links aren't anything like that at all - its just me being silly.

The Old Tarf said...

Life can get pretty boring after a while. It is good to go a little silly once in awhile.

A old friend(aquaintance) Mr. Spike Milligan used to tell me. "Is it mad to be normal or is is normal to be mad."

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

everything is madness. just dont look straight into the eyes of a nutter.

Electro-Kevin said...

Do look straight into the eyes of a nutter, it makes it easier to kick 'em where it hurts.

Hello, Old Tarf - I thought you were a fictional character until I happened upon your name in MM's blogroll.

nice to see you and a nice post too.

Mermaid of Moorgate said...

Hey dad, ask Electro Kevin (below) about his loveletter to me!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

And post about Kitty in Jeans... cute!